The History of the Pousada de Estremoz
At the beginning of the twentieth century the town walls, the so called Torre das Couraças and the Chapel Rainha Santa were classified as a National Monument from 1910.
There are no definite data about the origins of the Estremoz castle. It is believed that the fortification only began to be constructed on the turning point of the dynasty which imposed D. Afonso III in power, which gave it a strong symbolic status of the new political framework coming from the first civil war of the young Portuguese reign.
At the time of D. Dinis, the castle should already have be defined, as the project was one of the most important of the time, with the point around being defended by 22 towers and the people within the walls could have been supplied by around 20 cisterns.
The importance of Estremoz in the first half of the fourteenth century is unquestionably an important heritage collection dating from this period, which include the castle, as its common denominator, but which extends to other works such as the Palace of Audience or the considerable sections of the Royal Palace.
During the ownership of Queen Santa Isabel, who died here in 1336, Estremoz became one of the main political centres of that reign, offering advice to important figures and being the private stage for royal politics during the end of the first dynasty.