Pousada de Vila Viçosa, D. João IV
In the old royal convent of the Chagas de Cristo (Christ’s Wounds)
The Pousada de Vila Viçosa, opened in 1996, is installed in the historical centre of this Alentejo city.
The Pousada is found in the old Convento Real das Chagas de Cristo (The Royal Convent of Stigmas of Christ) ordered built by D. Jaime, the forth Duke of Bragança in the sixteenth century.
D. Jaime ordered the building of this religious house to serve as Pantheon for the Ladies of the House and to welcome his daughters from his second marriage who could not decently marry.
Through the years some legends became associated with the Pousada.
Ever since the mythical presence of the last mother superior, who still watches over by the convent, the attempt to build a direct passage to the Paço Ducal, which lies next to the Pousada.
It is believed that the frescoes of the building were written by Cecilia of the Holy Spirit, poet and painter, who worked in the convent until the date of her death in 1723.
Staying at the Pousada de Vila Viçosa is a trip to the furthest reaches of fantasies, we guarantee extraordinary experiences.
With its themed rooms, staying in this hotel is like sleeping in a museum, where for a moment we are actors in this imaginary world.